SO, THESE ARE THE COMPONENTS YOU NEED IN ORDER TO MAKE THE “WORLD’S BEST” SANDWICH:
- Great Crusty Bread: Traditionally, this sandwich is made with french bread, but it can definitely be made with whole-grain french bread for a healthier version. It is also terrific with sourdough bread. The most important thing to remember is to “TOAST the BREAD.” There is something about the crusty outside texture that really adds to the experience of this sandwich.
- Vegan Roast: We make our own, but I am sure any Holiday roast will work, as long as you like it. If you want to try my vegan recipe, Click Here. Holiday roast. Be sure to slice the roast into thin slices; it makes a difference in how the roast is experienced and how it drapes in the sandwich. Heat the sliced pieces in a skillet. If you have leftover gravy, you can moisten the roast with a little gravy in the skillet. It is not necessary as the sandwich is pretty moist without it, so I often skip this step.
- Kale Salad: Now, if you are tempted to skip this component, I would encourage you not to. It gives an excellent flavor, a hearty chew, superb texture, and phenomenal taste; besides, kale is one of those superfoods, very good for us. I have a great kale salad recipe on my website, but I usually make a modified version for this sandwich. See my recipe for details.
- Cranberry Sauce: This sandwich would not be much without the sweet tartness of the cranberry sauce. Be sure to add a generous helping of cranberry sauce. Most of you probably have some cranberry sauce leftover from the holiday, but if not, click here to check out my cranberry sauce recipe.
- Special-Thanksgiving-Sandwich Sauce: This sauce adds moisture, flavor, creaminess, and comfort to the sandwich. It is a must. If you happen to have some vegan mayo already, it takes only a couple of minutes to make, but it will take this sandwich to another level. Be generous when you make this vegan sauce; we never seem to have enough in my house. You can customize this sauce with a little cayenne if you like a little heat.
So there you have it, a wonderful combination of texture, taste, and beauty. I think you are going to like it. For me, eating a Thanksgiving Sandwich was one of those moments when I asked: where have you been all my life?
- Author: Chef Ani
You will need the following components:
- Crusty French Bread
- Vegan Roast, thinly sliced
- Kale Salad
- Cranberry Sauce
Modified Kale Salad:
- 1/2 bunch of kale, washed and destemmed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon onion, finely chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon dried ground thyme (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Wash and destem the kale. Let the kale dry before adding the dressing.
- In a small jar, add the finely chopped onion, thyme, minced garlic, oil, and lemon juice. Let it sit for a few minutes to soften. This step also takes away the rawness of the onion and garlic, leaving a wonderful flavor.
- Combine the kale with the dressing. Massage the kale for a couple of minutes. This breaks down the kale structure, making it much easier to eat. It also helps distribute the dressing. Salt to taste.
- 1/2 cup vegan mayo (homemade or Veganaise)
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon dried paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon maple
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
In a small bowl, add all the ingredients and stir to combine.
Vegan Holiday Roast:
- Slice the roast into thin slices—warm the slices in a skillet.
- You may want to use a touch of oil to brown the slices, but the important thing is that the pieces are warm.
- Click Here my homemade Holiday Roast recipe.
HOW TO PUT IT ALL TOGETHER:
- Toast the bread in the oven at 375 for 5-10 minutes until crusty.
- Slice the bread on the diagonal (looks a little fancier). Next, slice the bread lengthwise, but do not cut all the way through.
- Spread the bread with the Special-Thanksgiving-Sandwich-Sauce on both side, making sure it is covered to the edges:)
- Next, add 3-4 slices of warmed vegan Holiday Roast. Cover with a handful of kale salad. Top it all off with some sweet cranberry sauce, and as a final touch, add a little more of the Special-Thanksgiving-Sandwich-Sauce.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
Tag @chef.ani on Instagram