- Author: Chef Ani
- Total Time: 2 1/2 hours
- Yield: 1 Loaf
- 1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour (white wheat berries)
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon vital wheat gluten (optional)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon natural cane sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoons yeast
- 1 1/2 cup warm water (110 F)
- 2 sprigs of fresh rosemary
- 1 bulb roasted garlic
- Start by roasting the garlic. Use the whole bulb of garlic, cut off the top, sprinkle with a little olive oil, wrap in a piece of foil, place in a small baking dish and bake at 400F for 30 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, add whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, vital wheat gluten, natural cane sugar, salt, and yeast. Stir to combine.
- Cut in the roasted garlic.
- Remove the leaves from the rosemary sprigs and mince.
- Add to the flour mixture, and stir to combine.
- Next, mix in the warm water (110F, warm to touch, hot water will kill the yeast.) Stir to combine. The dough should look pretty shaggy.
- Proof the dough: Let the dough proof for 1 hour. If you have a proof function on your oven, cover the mixing bowl with a kitchen towel and place in the oven for 1 hour. If you do not have a proof function, cover the mixing bowl with plastic wrap and a kitchen towel and place it in a warm place for 1 hour.
- Shape the dough: Remove dough from the mixing bowl to a well-floured piece of parchment paper. Pull the edges of the dough together to form a ball. Turn it over, sprinkle with extra flour, cover with a towel and let it rise for 20-30 minutes while the Dutch Oven heats up.
- Heat the Dutch Oven: Place the Dutch Oven with lid in the oven. Heat the oven to 450F. The Dutch Oven must be very hot when you place the bread dough in it, so let it heat for at least 20-30 minutes.
- Baking the Bread: When the oven is at the right temperature and the Dutch Oven is hot; remove the Dutch Oven’s lid, being careful as it is very hot. Place the bread dough in the Dutch Oven using the parchment-paper to move it. Leave the parchment-paper under the bread during the baking process, but remove the kitchen towel. Cover the Dutch Oven with the lid. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove lid, bake for an additional 15 minutes without the lid. Remove bread from the Dutch Oven and place on a cooling rack.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
Tag @chef.ani on Instagram